Monday, February 18, 2013

Burger King Sells to McDonald's -- Twitter Says

The hactivist group Anonymous was quickly identified Monday as the likely source of a successful  take-over of the Burger King Twitter account.

It began with a tweet declaring the fast food chain "just got sold to McDonalds!"

It took an hour before Twitter shut down the account, but not before 30,000 new followers signed in to the Burger King account, and many had fun with the compromised social media site. 

There was probably "no harm -- no foul" in the attack, but there could have been.  And what business wants to be the butt of such drama?

A McDonald's spokesperson told NBC News they were not responsible, and then added "we empathize with our @BurgerKing counterparts. Rest assured, we had nothing to do with the hacking."

Burger King issued a statement at mid-afternoon:  "We apologize to our fans and followers who have been receiving erroneous tweets about other members or our industry and additional inappropriate topics."

Twitter said earlier this month that abut 250,000 user passwords had been compromised, although it was not clear if that contributed to the Burger King attack.

The lesson for all organizations is quite clear -- if you are playing in the digital world, be prepared to cope with an embarrassing moment or two.

No comments:

Post a Comment